A full PHP development environment for Docker.
Includes pre-packaged Docker Images, all pre-configured to provide a wonderful PHP development environment.
Laradock is well known in the Laravel community, as the project started with single focus on running Laravel projects on Docker. Later and due to the large adoption from the PHP community, it started supporting other PHP projects like Symfony, CodeIgniter, WordPress, Drupal…
Let’s see how easy it is to install
1 - Clone Laradock inside your PHP project:
git clone https://github.com/Laradock/laradock.git
2 - Enter the laradock folder and rename
cp env-example .env
3 - Run your containers:
docker-compose up -d nginx mysql redis beanstalkd
4 - Open your project’s
.env file and set the following:
DB_HOST=mysql REDIS_HOST=redis QUEUE_HOST=beanstalkd
5 - Open your browser and visit localhost:
That's it! enjoy :)
- Easy switch between PHP versions: 7.1, 7.0, 5.6…
- Choose your favorite database engine: MySQL, Postgres, MariaDB…
- Run your own combination of software: Memcached, HHVM, Beanstalkd…
- Every software runs on a separate container: PHP-FPM, NGINX, PHP-CLI…
- Easy to customize any container, with simple edit to the
- All Images extends from an official base Image. (Trusted base Images).
- Pre-configured NGINX to host any code at your root directory.
- Can use Laradock per project, or single Laradock for all projects.
- Easy to install/remove software’s in Containers using environment variables.
- Clean and well structured Dockerfiles (
- Latest version of the Docker Compose file (
- Everything is visible and editable.
- Fast Images Builds.
- More to come every week..
Supported Software (Images)
In adhering to the separation of concerns principle as promoted by Docker, Laradock runs each software on its own Container. You can turn On/Off as many instances of as any container without worrying about the configurations, everything works like a charm.
- Database Engines: MySQL - MariaDB - Percona - MongoDB - Neo4j - RethinkDB - MSSQL - PostgreSQL - Postgres Postgis.
- Cache Engines: Redis - Memcached - Aerospike
- PHP Servers: NGINX - Apache2 - Caddy
- PHP Compilers: PHP FPM - HHVM
- Message Queuing: Beanstalkd - Beanstalkd Console - RabbitMQ - RabbitMQ Console - PHP Worker
- Tools: HAProxy - Jenkins - ElasticSearch - Selenium - Certbot - Mailhog - Minio - Varnish - PhpMyAdmin - Adminer - PgAdmin - MailHog - Blackfire…
Laradock introduces the Workspace Image, as a development environment. It contains a rich set of helpful tools, all pre-configured to work and integrate with almost any combination of Containers and tools you may choose.
Workspace Image Tools PHP CLI - Composer - Git - Linuxbrew - Node - V8JS - Gulp - SQLite - xDebug - Envoy - Deployer - Vim - Yarn - SOAP - Drush…
You can choose, which tools to install in your workspace container and other containers, from the
If you modify
dockerfilefile, you must re-build your containers, to see those effects in the running instance.
If you can’t find your Software in the list, build it yourself and sumit it. Contributions are welcomed :)
What is Docker?
Docker is an open platform for developing, shipping, and running applications. Docker enables you to separate your applications from your infrastructure so you can deliver software quickly. With Docker, you can manage your infrastructure in the same ways you manage your applications. By taking advantage of Docker’s methodologies for shipping, testing, and deploying code quickly, you can significantly reduce the delay between writing code and running it in production.
Why Docker not Vagrant!?
Vagrant creates Virtual Machines in minutes while Docker creates Virtual Containers in seconds.
Instead of providing a full Virtual Machines, like you get with Vagrant, Docker provides you lightweight Virtual Containers, that share the same kernel and allow to safely execute independent processes.
In addition to the speed, Docker gives tons of features that cannot be achieved with Vagrant.
Most importantly Docker can run on Development and on Production (same environment everywhere). While Vagrant is designed for Development only, (so you have to re-provision your server on Production every time).
What’s better than a Demo Video:
Chat with us
You are welcome to join our chat room on Gitter.